Oetker Collection adds The Lanesborough Hotel London
The nighth hotel of the Oetker Collection, one of the finest luxury hotel chain in the world, The Lanesborough Hotel marks a significant entry into one of the world’s most competitive luxury hotel markets. Formerly under the St Regis brand, The Lanesborough closed in 2013 and is expected to reopen following extensive renovations. The hotel will feature 93 fresh rooms and suites, a choice of discreet and elegant dining options and a spa.
The hotel is recreated by the late Alberto Pinto, visionary designer of grand interiors. The Regency style that has been a special pleasure for so many throughout The Lanesborough’s long history, has been carefully maintained, adding the latest in modern luxuries for the discerning traveler.
St George’s Hospital was opened in the original Lanesborough House in 1733. By the 1800s the hospital was falling into disrepair. Lanesborough House was demolished to make way for a new 350-bed facility. Building began in 1827 under architect William Wilkins. The new hospital was operational by 1844, serving continuously as a hospital until transferred to Tooting, south London in the 1970s, leaving the Hyde Park Corner premises vacant in 1980. Rosewood Hotels & Resorts refurbished and re-opened the building as a hotel in 1991. Ten years later the management contract passed to Starwood’s St Regis operation as its first and only hotel in England.