Add

Major drop in tourism in Paris due to attacks

The number of tourists who canceled their trips to Paris in the week following the attacks jumped up 21% compared to cancellations during the same week last year. New bookings dropped by 27%, data from travel data company ForwardKeys showed. Bookings for Christmas are down 13% compared to the same period last year.

The wave of cancellations comes at a tough time for Paris. Even before the attacks, winter holiday bookings were down 2% compared to last year. Travel had declined after the Charlie Hebdo massacre massacre in January, and it took around four months for the number of visitors to return to normal, the Paris Tourism Office said. This time, the slump is a lot more dramatic.

French Economy Minister Emmanuel Macron said Paris hotels suffered a 15% to 20% slump in the number of guests, while restaurants attendance dropped 10%.

Some countries issued travel warnings to their citizens in the aftermath of the attacks. The U.S. state department has issued a worldwide travel warning.

The U.K. government has recommended that British schools planning trips to France avoid the Paris region until Sunday. Foreign offices in Canada, Australia and other countries said tourists should be on high alert when traveling.

Paris Arc de Triomphe

CPP-LUXURY iOS App